Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Them New York Women Is Tough

Walking to work today (through the Flatiron District, specifically, if that matters), I saw at least three or four women with naked feet. They weren't wearing those spiky stab-you-in-the-heart heels that cost as much as a cab ride to Philadelphia, no. These were honest-to-God, I-think-it's-still-summer sandals, with big fat straps and toes hanging out everywhere.

Now, I would never urge the attractive women of New York (or any other location I happen to be in at the time) to cover up any body parts that they don't feel like covering up. That would just be wrong. But, Jeez! girls, don't you realize that it's November!?

And that's when I had my minor epiphany of the day (immortalized, in worse grammar than I used in my own head at the time, in my title). Remember this: don't mess with the New York girls. They take more pain than you can dish out just looking that cute, and they laugh at frostbite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back when I used to go to the gym a lot, I was surprised to discover that shorts were perfectly sufficient right up until the snow fell [1]. As long as you have insulation between the soles of your feet and the ground, heat transfer should be acceptable, at least for those of us who are warm blooded.

Anyway, heat loss runs off the difference in temperatures and my experience suggests that most women keep their feet somewhere around 270K anyway.

1: Or as in one memorable trip, freezing rain arrived. Freezing rain can suck the heat right out of you.

Post a Comment