Thursday, January 05, 2006

More Clueless than a Speeding Bullet!

So I'm reading Magic for Beginners today (only six months after everyone else; I'm getting better), and I was reminded of an amusingly dumb thought process that I wanted to share with you.

I read Kelly Link's first short story collection, Stranger Things Happen, a few months back. And I noticed the cover, which seemed to illustrate the story "The Girl Detective," was credited to Shelley Jackson.

Wow, I thought, the things you don't know about literary icons. I never knew Jackson was a painter, too. I wonder if Link wrote the story because of the painting? That would be really interesting.

A day or two later, I looked at the book again, and apparently I was awake that time, because I suddenly realized that "Shelly" is not the same as "Shirley."

The moral of this little tale is that editors (well, this editor, to be sure) can be just as dumb and oblivious as any other reader...

No comments:

Post a Comment