Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Page 123 Meme

I saw this one at Miss Snark, a literary agent who not only has a great blog, but just spent Christmas vacation reading and critiquing, in public, nearly a hundred book synopses. So you need to watch out for her; she'll do anything.

The rules:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
5. Don't search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.

Unfortunately, everything in arm's length here at the computer at home is either a) comics, b) poetry, or c) quotation books. Oh, wait, I can reach something else on the top of this pile behind me...

So the instruction ceased, but Douglass convinced his young white acquaintances to explain the ABCs.

I think that's the fifth sentence, officially; the page starts in the middle of a sentence and has a multi-sentence quote that I didn't want to pick up in the middle of. If I just pick the words that end with the fifth period on the page, I get this:

When Frederick Douglass was a child, his mistress began to teach him to read.

Not sure what this proves or does, but, hell! it's a meme, and it's about books, so I felt compelled to continue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment