Friday, October 19, 2007

Quote of the Week

"Almost a decade ago, I was browsing in a Barnes & Noble when I came across a book called Route 666: On the Road to Nirvana. It was a music book about a band I liked, so I started paging through it immediately. What I remember are two sentences on the fourth page which discussed how awesome it was that 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was on the radio, and how this was almost akin to America electing a new president: 'It's not that everything will change at once,' wrote the author, 'it's that at least the people have voted for better principles. Nirvana's being on the radio means my own values are winning: I'm no longer in the opposition.' I have never forgotten those two sentences, and there are two reasons why this memory has stuck with me. The first reason is that this was just about the craziest, scariest idea I'd ever stumbled across. The second reason, however, is way worse; what I have slowly come to realize is that most people think this way all the time. They don't merely want to hold their values; they want their values to win. And I suspect this is why people so often feel 'betrayed' by art and consumerism, and by the way the world works. I'm sure the author of Route 666 felt completely 'betrayed' when Limp Biskit and Matchbox 20 became superfamous five years after Cobain's death and she was forced to return to 'the opposition' (whatever that entails -- complaining about Clear Channel, I suppose). If you feel betrayed by culture, it's not because you're right and the universe is fucked; it's only because you're not like most other people. But this should make you happy, because -- in all likelihood -- you hate those other people, anyway. You are being betrayed by a culture that has no relationship to who you are or how you live."
- Chuck Klosterman, "Cultural Betrayal," Chuck Klosterman IV, p.285-286

No comments:

Post a Comment