Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Music Meme at Eighteen

This one I discovered Nick Mamatas doing (in public, yet!)

Instructions: Go to www.popCulturemadness.com and select the year you became 18. Paste the list of the top 75 songs. Bold the ones you liked; strike the ones you disliked; and italicize the ones you know but don't exactly like nor dislike. The ones you don't know will stay common text.

The year is 1987, and the radio is full of crap -- luckily, I'm off at college, so I'm not listening to Top 40 radio (or watching much MTV) at this point.

  1. Living On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
  2. Mony Mony - Billy Idol (1st released in 1981)
  3. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
  4. Lean On Me - Club Nouveau
  5. Songbird - Kenny G
  6. Always - Atlantic Starr
  7. Oh Yeah - Yello
  8. La Bamba - Los Lobos
  9. Faith - George Michael
  10. You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon
  11. With Or Without You - U2
  12. Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush
  13. Bad - Michael Jackson
  14. It's Tricky - Run DMC
  15. You Got It All - the Jets
  16. U Got The Look - Prince
  17. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
  18. Girls, Girls, Girls - Motley Crue
  19. Didn't We Almost Have It All - Whitney Houston
  20. Casanova - Levert
  21. La Isla Bonita - Madonna
  22. Funky Town - Pseudo Echo
  23. Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi
  24. Can't We Try - Dan Hill and Vonda Sheppard
  25. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) - Beastie Boys
  26. The Final Countdown - Europe
  27. Open Your Heart - Madonna
  28. Looking For A New Love - Jody Watley
  29. In Too Deep - Genesis
  30. Let's Wait Awhile - Janet Jackson
  31. Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
  32. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - Genesis
  33. Shake You Down - Gregory Abbott
  34. Somewhere Out There - Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram
  35. Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
  36. Rhythm Is Gonna Get You - Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
  37. Big Time - Peter Gabriel
  38. The Finer Things - Steve Winwood
  39. Land of Confusion - Genesis
  40. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship
  41. Luka - Suzanne Vega
  42. Girls - Beastie Boys
  43. The Lady In Red - Chris Deburgh
  44. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston
  45. True Faith - New Order
  46. Dude (Looks Like A Lady) - Aerosmith
  47. Touch Me (I Want Your Body) - Samantha Fox
  48. Moonlighting Theme - Al Jarreau
  49. Heart and Soul - T' Pau
  50. Heartbreak Beat - Psychedelic Furs
  51. Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites
  52. Caught Up In The Rapture - Anita Baker
  53. Come Go With Me - Expose
  54. Brass Monkey - Beastie Boys
  55. Day In, Day Out - David Bowie
  56. Don't Leave Me This Way - Communards
  57. Fascinated - Company B
  58. Boom Boom (Let's Go Back To My Room) - Paul Lekakis
  59. I'm No Angel - Gregg Allman Band
  60. Only In My Dreams - Debbie Gibson
  61. Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead
  62. Learning To Fly - Pink Floyd
  63. When Smokey Sings - ABC
  64. Graceland - Paul Simon
  65. At This Moment - Billy Vera and the Beaters
  66. World Shut Your Mouth - Julian Cope
  67. I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Michael Jackson
  68. Heart and Soul - The Monkees
  69. Why Can't I Be You - The Cure
  70. Downtown Train - Patty Smyth
  71. Catch Me I'm Falling - Pretty Poison
  72. Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
  73. Point Of No Return - Expose
  74. I Want Your Sex - George Michael
  75. I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany
I bet a lot of those plain-type titles would turn into strikethroughs if I remembered them; they mostly sound like things I would hate. In several cases, I know I never liked any song that particular group did, but I can't remember the one on this list -- so I didn't strike them out purely from lack of specific memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment