Friday, August 03, 2007

Dave Truesdale is Looking for Market Data

And I'll just copy & paste his message, which you may be seeing other places today. Contact him directly about his request, of course.
"If I have already contacted you, please disregard this request.

For all others (and please spread the word), I am conducting a major SF/F/H survey for all U.S. original short fiction markets (anything less than novel length) paying at least 1c/wd. Magazines, chapbooks, small press, book publishers, and ezines originating in the U.S., are all to be included.

I need to know three things:

1) Payrate (to verify the 1c/wd. requirement only).

2) How many original short stories will be published in 2007.

3) The total word count for same.

Magazines, original collections, reprint single author collections including any new material, chapbooks of less than novel length. All are included, as well as original short fiction published as media tie-ins, as well as any original short fiction collections from the small press.

Feel free to copy this request where you see fit. I can be reached at:

dtruesdale@netzero.com, or dtruesdale@netzero.net

Your help in this major project is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Dave Truesdale
Publisher/Editor, Tangent Online"
Would'ja like to take a survey?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't he get off his lazy ass and just consult some online market guides and then go off asking people to paint his fence for him?

JeffV

Andrew Wheeler said...

I'm not Dave, but I know that online guides won't tell him how many stories each venue expects to publish this year, and the payment rates listed online might be wrong.

On the other hand, at this point, I would hope he already knows about all of the people publishing SF/F short fiction.

Anonymous said...

I have individually emailed dozens and dozens of print and online markets already, but this is a daunting enterprise, and much larger than I had imagined.

I don't see where asking for a little assistance is an evil thing to do, especially when a project of this scope might give the field some raw data that no one seems to have--if they ever did.

Unless market guides are kept up to date some of the information may prove quite dated, which is why their use only proves useful to a certain extent.

Believe me, Jeff, I'm gathering quite a bit of data through my own efforts, and am definitely not sitting back and waiting for the information to come to me. Far from it.

Dave T.

Dave T.

Post a Comment