Monday, May 05, 2008

My Attitude

For no particular reason, other than to reinforce my reputation as a grumpy bastard, here are the refrains from what are probably my two current favorite songs. (In other words, these are the things I'm yelling along with in the car these days, when I'm alone.)

The Mendoza Line, from the song "We're All in This Alone" on Lost in Revelry
Everybody thinks that "we're in this together"
And everybody wishes "always be together"
But we're all in this alone
Oh we're all in this alone
Oh we're all in this alone
And the world is all alone
Harley Poe, from "Corrupting My Better Half" on The Dead and the Naked
Now Jesus died for them, it's true
But what's a poor devil to do?

Oh when the saints go marchin' in
I won't be there, 'cause I love my sin
Am I so bad that you hate me?
There was a time when I could see
My hopes and dreams, they are no more
I'm not a rich man, but blessed are the poor
Old man forgive me, I've turned away
I won't come back, so I'll have to pay
And now I've got to get some sleep, since I have wall-to-wall meeting tomorrow.

Edit, the next day: The Harley Poe song lyrics above may actually be from a song called "What's a Poor Devil to Do?" ("Corrupting My Better Half" being a different Harley Poe song, with different lyrics.) This would make sense, but it doesn't explain how I originally got the song with the wrong name attached. All research from this end has been fruitless; if I still care when I get home, I may learn the truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever considered jazz?

Andrew Wheeler said...

Anonymous: What a random comment!

Have I considered jazz as a way to sooth my savage impulses?

Have I considered jazz as something that will make me even more manic?

Have I considered jazz as one of the quintessentially American artforms?

Have I considered jazz as my favorite basketball team?

Or what?

Post a Comment