Tuesday, August 11, 2009

James Bond Daily: What '50s Men Knew About Women

Bond asks advice from Kerim Bey, head of the Turkey section of the British Secret Service, on p.130 of From Russia with Love:
'There only one thing I want to know,' said Bond flatly. 'What do you think of this girl? Do you believe her story or not? Her story about me? Nothing else matters. If she hasn't got some sort of a hysterical crush on me, the whole business falls to the ground and it's some complicated MGB plot we can't understand. Now. Did you believe the girl?' Bond's voice was urgent and his eyes searched the other man's face.

'Ah, my friend,' Kerim shook his head. He spread his arms wide. 'Tat is what I asked myself then, and it is what I ask myself the whole time since. But who can tell if a woman is lying about these things? Her eyes were bright -- those beautifully innocent eyes. Her lips were moist and parted in that heavenly mouth. Her voice was urgent and frightened at what she was doing and saying. Her knuckles were white on the guard rail of the ship. But what was in her heart?' Kerim raised his hands, 'God only knows.' He brought his hands down resignedly. He placed them flat on the desk and looked straight at Bond. 'There is only one way of telling if a woman really loves you, and even that way can only be read by an expert.'

'Yes,' said Bond dubiously. 'I know what you mean. In bed.'
Is this perhaps the very first instance of adding "in bed" to the end of anything?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shaken, not stirred ... in bed.

Hm.

Suzan Harden said...

ROFLMAO!!

Post a Comment