Friday, March 18, 2011

Quote of the Week: What We Need

I see that I neglected to post this at the usual day & time -- but I intended to, and had the post sitting there as a draft, so I'm invoking the Blogger Prerogative and post-dating it so that it looks like it went up when it was supposed to:

"I have books, new books, and I can bear anything as long as there are books."
 - p.25

"'Half way,' Glorfindel said, and he didn't mean that I was half dead without her or that she was halfway through or any of that, he meant that I was halfway through Babel 17, and if I went on I would never find out how it came out.

"There may be stranger reasons for being alive.

"There are books. There's Auntie Teg and Grampar. There's Sam, and Gill. There's interlibrary loan. There are books you can fall into and pull up over your head. There's the distant hope of a karass sometime in the future. There's Glorfindel who really cares about me as much as a fairy can care about anything."
 - p.89

"If you love books enough, books will love you back."
 - p.300


All from Among Others by Jo Walton, which I would be willing to bet, right this moment, will win her a second World Fantasy Award for Best Novel. It's that good, and that true, and that precisely what we fantasy book-lovers will take to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment