Saturday, July 30, 2011

What I'll Be Doing in Reno

First of all, I need to shoot a man just to watch him die -- I understand that's a traditional pastime there, and I like to participate in local culture as much as possible.

But I'll also be doing actual Worldcon-style convention programming while I'm there as well, and the things I'm scheduled for are:

Thu 16:00 - 17:00, The Science Fiction and Fantasy Canon within Comics (Panel), A10 (RSCC)
        What are the essential science fiction and fantasy comics?

Thu 17:00 - 18:00, The Works of Tim Powers (Panel), A03 (RSCC)
        Tim Powers, author of such masterworks as The Anubis Gates, Last Call, and Declare, is one of the most important fantasy writers of the last thirty years.  The panel discusses what makes his works so compelling and so effective.


(Note: I will be moderating this one, which is already bringing me out in a cold sweat -- a major panel about the oeuvre of the Author GOH, so no pressure, right?)

Sat 14:00 - 15:00, The Best in Recent SF and Fantasy (Panel), A18 (RSCC)
        People often talk about the classics of SF, but there's also a lot of great SF and fantasy being
produced now, including works that will be


(Note: That's the full panel description as it was provided to me; I hope to get the group involved in a spirited round of "guess the rest of the description" early in the proceedings.)





    Sat 16:00 - 17:00, Beyond Harry Potter: What other Young Adult Fiction Everyone -- Adults Included -- Should Be Reading (Panel), A11 (RSCC)
        Harry Potter entertained a generation of kids (and adults). What are other young adult novels that you should be reading?  We'll look at newcomers to the field of YA as well as some golden oldies.

(Note: I think I've personally done this panel at least three times before, over the past decade -- too bad I never save my convention notes, or there would be no prep required.)


I also hope to see a lot of folks along the way; I feel like I'm drifting farther and farther away from the skiffy world, and I hate that. I'm getting into Reno on Wednesday evening (coming straight from a work conference in Las Vegas, actually), and fly out on Monday morning, so that should give me time for plenty of schmoozing even on top of my usual anti-social time. Please feel free to drop me an e-mail if we should make plans ahead of time to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment