Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Incoming Books: July 16th

I had to go to the local library yesterday, to pick up a book for Thing 2's summer reading, and of course I couldn't get out of there without anything for myself, could I?

I ended up finding these four books -- two were from the sale shelves (trade paperbacks in good shape for a quarter each!), and two were actual real library books that need to go back once I read them:

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich -- yeah, it's a decade old at this point, but that's probably why a copy was available for a quarter. And I still haven't read it.

A Sundial in a Grave: 1610 by Mary Gentle -- I'm way behind on reading Gentle, partially because (back in my SFBC days) the club members had repeated refused to buy her books (the ingrates!), so I couldn't really call it reading-for-work. I also think I used to have a copy of this (and of the four Ash books, and who-knows-what else) before the flood, as well.

The Great Divergence by Timothy Noah, because it's not that long, and it's getting a lot of (generally admiring) media attention, and it looks to have actual facts and numbers behind it.

They Eat Puppies, Don't They? by Christopher Buckley -- the latest of his humorous Washington novels, of which I am a fan. If I like it enough, there's every chance I'll even buy my own copy, eventually -- I think I have all the rest of his books on my shelves. (He's early in the alphabet, and I have him in hardcover, so he survived the deluge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment