Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Things You Remember

The Wife sells things on eBay -- less than she used to, since she's basically been winding down the business for the last year or so -- and, occasionally, she needs to print labels on my computer, since this is the only printer working at the moment.

Tonight, she came down to print a label for Massapequa, New York.

And I said, "Massapequa! Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Amityville, Lindenhurst, Copaigue, and Babylon! Transfer at Babylon for Oyster Bay!"

(If you don't live on Long Island, or didn't spend years taking a train to Garden City -- actually, the oh-so-bucolic-sounding station Country Life Press -- for meetings at your erstwhile employer, this is probably meaningless to you. But it's something that Doubleday taught me, and something I'll probably never quite forget, as hard as I try.)

No comments:

Post a Comment