Saturday, September 20, 2014

Incoming Books: Week of 9/20

I was in the mood to buy books a week ago, and I wanted to start filling out my reading projects shelf with some ideas I've had, so I went to ABEbooks and ended up ordering a whole bunch of books from a store in Reno (of all places). They're R&R Books, and they had a lot of stuff for a dollar -- I wasn't sure what they'd look like, but I was happily surprised by the condition of everything I got from them. (Nearly all of this stuff was just a buck, plus reasonable shipping costs.)

For my Vintage Contemporaries project:
  • Love Always by Anne Beattie
  • The Wrong Case by James Crumley -- which I'm really looking forward to re-reading; his first two or three mysteries were great
  • Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney -- to launch the whole project, and the next major book in my hopper now
For other reading projects:
  • The Doomsters by Ross Macdonald -- I may decide to change focus and collect all of the newish Black Lizard editions before my re-read, but, even so: this was only a buck
  • Downward to the Earth by Robert Silverberg
  • The Man in the Maze by Robert Silverberg -- the plan here is to do a Starktober-style re-read of all of Silverberg's classic-period novels (roughly 1967-75) over the course of one month, one a day
  • Watch Your Back! by Donald E. Westlake
And then some other books, just because:

The Anvil of the World by Kage Baker: I had a copy of this before the flood, left unread partially so I could still have some Baker to look forward to. I may read it this time around, or leave it again, since she's not going to give us any new novels now.

Flashman at the Charge by George MacDonald Fraser: I'm not sure if I'm rebuying these for a big re-read, or just on general principle. I guess I'll see once I have them all, won't I?

Dating Your Mom by Ian Frazier: The other major old collection of funny short works by the author of Coyote V. Acme, a nice short book of really funny stuff -- it will definitely get a re-read.

Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux: Another book I had before the flood, but I don't feel so bad -- this one was cheap, and there's every chance I would have replaced my original hardcover with a trade paperback like this before reading it anyway. (I prefer to read in bound galleys or trade paperback, generally.)

Changeling by Roger Zelazny: I'm probably going to try to re-build my Zelazny shelf eventually. But I should have checked: I already had this in trade paperback, so a book club hardcover wasn't much of an upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment