Wednesday, June 10, 2015

First World Problems

In my RSS feeds -- oh, shut up, I still think it's the most useful way to organize regularly-updated content -- I have a whole bunch of entities that regularly post big images of books, with or without commentary underneath.

There's Kindle Cover Disasters (and several similar blogs), and Awful Library Books, and several people who do reviews (James Nicoll, most prominent among them). And then the general book-world blogs as well, and the occasional breathless cretin who got an "exclusive" to "reveal" the non-news that a major-publisher book will actually have a piece of art on its cover.

But the ones that point out flaws seem to be the most frequent, so that's what I've gotten used to over the past few years. And now when I hit one of those other kinds of posts, my mind immediately wonders what's wrong with that book -- is it the cover or the content?

Since there's something -- at least one thing, some books have a whole laundry list -- wrong with every book, I don't actually mind this. But it does make for amusing moments of confusion, when I realize that this book is actually meant to be taken seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment