Monday, May 27, 2019

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 5/25/19

One book this week, which came in the mail (like the old days!):

Kingdom of the Cursed is a new fantasy novel by Greg Keyes, second in the "High and Faraway" series (after The Reign of the Departed), and it's coming in trade paperback from Night Shade on June 18th.

So somehow I missed the beginning of a new series from Keyes -- I really liked his steampunky alternate-fantasy series "Age of Unreason" back when I was at the SFBC, and thought his "Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone" started as strong (and more focused) than George Martin's "Game of Thrones" series. (If I'm being totally honest, I found the last Kingdoms book a bit rushed...but Keyes did manage to end his story in four books, which is a major plus.)

It looks like this one is a portal fantasy with possible YA elements -- the hero is a teen who found himself in the body of some kind of automaton in a fantasy world after accidentally committing suicide, if I have that right. I may have to track down the first book: Keyes is a strong writer whose stories get more convoluted and crazy as they go, and it's been a decade since his last non-sharecropped book. It's great to see him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment