Friday, January 29, 2021

Quote of the Week: Honesty

One temporary badge and a dull fantasy of her employment history committed to the application form later, "Kate Gallowglass" found herself sitting on a leatherette chair before the head of Employee Resources. He was a blue-eyed aristocrat in a bespoke suit and Royal Harlindon regimental tie who, she had to admit, couldn't have looked more desirable if he were in shackles and shorts. After a quick glance at her application he said, "Why do you want to work here, Ms. Gallowglass?"

"Money," Cat said.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I misspoke myself. I meant to say that this would be a fabulous opportunity for me to express my talents, unleash my inner potential, spread my wings, drink from the fountain of wisdom, kneel before the lingam of the numinous, learn humility and discipline from the best and wisest, be the change that I want to see, and become something more than anything I could ever possibly be. Unfortunately, at this present time, what with food and rent and such, I require a salary. But rest assured, if I were ever to find myself as wealthy as you obviously are, I'd definitely be taking this job, with its utter lack of career potential and a management culture that is obviously both demanding and condescending, for no money at all. That's how highly I regard the position of File Clerk I. It's something of a dream job for me."

The interviewer stared at Cat. "Was that meant to be amusing?"

"If it were, I am almost certain you would have noticed."

 - Michael Swanwick, The Iron Dragon's Mother, p.191 

No comments:

Post a Comment