Monday, September 27, 2021

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 9/25/21

This week, one book I put on hold popped up at the library, and this is it:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen? by Matt Fraction, Steve Lieber, and Nathan Fairbairn: it collects the recent series of the same name. I don't see a "Vol. 1" on the copyright page - though there could be one on the spine, covered by the library stickers - which leads me to believe this was another goofy experiment, allowed to exist for a short time in the usually clenched-teeth world of Big Two comics. (I could be wrong; there may be more clenched teeth in this book than I expect.) Anyway, I tend to like weird throwback Silver Age ideas, or at least I like to read and mock them. (Hi, Cave Carson! How's tricks?)

As far as I can tell, this story is about Jimmy running around with different groups of characters each issue (all with some connection to Superman, I expect), trying to solve his own murder. (I have no idea if this is a time-paradox story, an I've-be-poisoned-unreasonably-slowly story, a dream, a hoax, or an imaginary story. But that's the premise.) It may also spin out of what I think was a crossover: a story from something called Superman: Leviathan Rising Special leads off the book, which may either be integral to the deal or a one-off proof of concept.

Anyway, it's a thing, and I expect to read it later the same day I'm typing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment