Friday, October 29, 2021

Quote of the Week: Are You an Encyclopedia Salesman?

It is one of the drawbacks of the desert-island atmosphere of a private school that everybody is always meeting everybody else. To avoid a man for long is impossible. I had been avoiding Glossop as long as I could, for I knew that he wanted to corner me with a view to a heart-to-heart talk on Life Insurance.

The amateur Life Insurance agents are a curious band. The world is full of them. I have met them in country houses, at seaside hotels, on ship[s, everywhere; and it has always amazed me that they should find the game worth the candle. What they add to their incomes I do not know, but it cannot be very much, and they trouble they have to take is colossal. Nobody loves them ,and they must see it; yet they persevere.

 - P.G. Wodehouse, The Little Nugget, pp.89-90

No comments:

Post a Comment