Monday, October 10, 2022

Reviewing the Mail: Week of October 8, 2022

Two more books this week, and, as I suspected, they are more coming in from my library requests. And they are...

Jimbo: Adventures in Paradise, a collection of the comics by Gary Panter. I thought this was a new, possibly comprehensive collection, but it seems to be the old 1988 RAW book reprinted with a different cover thirty years later. Frankly, I don't know if there is any newer Jimbo material in the first place, so I may be slightly surprised, but not disappointed. I had this book back in the day - I was a solid RAW fan in college - but I lost it, along with so much else, in my 2011 flood. So this will be the first time re-reading this material probably since 1988.

The Grand Odalisque is a caper bande desinee by the team of Bastien Vives, Florent Ruppert and Jerome Mulot. I have no idea how they collaborated; Ruppert and Mulot are a team who usually work together - both writing and both drawing - and Vives is similarly a writer-artist. It's a story about three main characters, so my puckish assumption is that they each wrote and drew one of them and then fought over the backgrounds. Those main characters are art thieves - two of them friends since childhood and now international masters out for the Ingres painting of the title. The third, I gather, has a specific set of skills they need to get that particular painting, so they recruit her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment