"All of This and Nothing" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song I really love, by an artist I haven't featured in the previous This Year, Portions For Foxes, or Better Things series. It alternates between Obscure and Famous songs; feel free to argue either way if you're so inclined. See the introduction for more.
This week it's another Obscure choice: a 2007 single from a band with at least this one good record, about whom I don't know much else.
Quit While You're Ahead is from Southeast Engine, who were big enough to have a Wikipedia page listing their seven records. But, on that page, the most recent record listed is from 2012, and the first outside link is to MySpace, so I suspect they're solidly defunct at this point.
But a song, once recorded, lives on. And this is a good one.
The singer is talking to someone: someone who's trying to convince him of something, and has almost succeeded.
So tell me what I believe
tell what it is I need
tell me you'll provide it for me yes
and I will do anything for you
I'll do anything you tell me to
I'll mistake the lies you sell me for the truth
But that other person hasn't quite closed the deal yet.
you got thirty seconds kid
you got all the time you need
It's all in a straightforward rock presentation, big and impressive and driving, with strong drumming and guitar work to support that compelling voice. What more do I need to say?
No comments:
Post a Comment