Sunday, September 20, 2026

Reviewing the Mail: Week of September 19, 2026

I'm stacking these posts off into the future again; I'm writing this the morning of Saturday, September 5. Why? Because I already have a "Reviewing the Mail" post for tomorrow and one for next week. And the exact timing of my mail really doesn't matter to anyone.

This time I have one book, from the library; it came in much later than the others I requested at the same time. It didn't come from any farther away; the library system is basically just this one county, anyway. Maybe someone already had it checked out. Anyway, it's here now, and I'll probably read it "today" (two weeks ago as you read this.)

Night Stories is a comics-format collection of "Folktales from Latin America," as the subtitle puts it - Latin America is a huge, diverse region, so I'll have to see if it's one tale from here and one from there or a more focused look at a particular area. It was written and drawn by the Argentine cartoonist Liniers, best-known for his daily strip Macanudo. There also seem to be extensive text features, since this is a book aimed at younger readers (and, more so, at their librarians and teachers, as the ones who will spend the money to buy it).

I suppose it's something of a companion to the earlier book The Dragon Slayer by Jaime Hernandez from the same publisher, which also collected folktales in a comics format. I would be somewhat surprised if any of the stories repeated, but I suppose I'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment