"All of This and Nothing" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song I really love, by an artist I haven't featured in the previous This Year, Portions For Foxes, or Better Things series. It alternates between Obscure and Famous songs; feel free to argue either way if you're so inclined. See the introduction for more.
As I noted a few weeks ago, this series moves back in time - two parallel tracks of Famous and Obscure. The famous track has now gotten deep into my childhood: I tend to think the hugely popular songs we still listen to will tend to be from our childhoods, but there may be different opinions on the matter.
This week, it is actually a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, which It embarrasses me to type. ('70s kids loved the Skynyrd at the time, but often don't like to talk about it later.) For the tiniest bit of hipster cred I might have, though, my favorite Skynyrd song is Tuesday's Gone.
(Yes, another sad love song - I do have a type.)
The lyrics aren't complex: the singer is taking a train away from his woman, for what sounds like forever, even though he seems to still love her.
Train roll on, on down the line,
Won't you please take me far away?
Reading between the lines, the singer might be heading out because she already left. Or left in spirit - however you want to take it. It's definitely a song about something that's over.
Tuesday's gone with the wind.
My woman's gone with the wind.
Because this was the '70s, Tuesday's Gone is a whole epic thing: seven and a half minutes of twanging guitars and honkytonk piano and a string section - but that lead guitar line is amazing, and the singer has a great world-weary tone, and the whole thing earns its length.
No comments:
Post a Comment