Thursday, January 26, 2006

The First Pebbles of the Avalanche

I got my first WFA package today, and the world was kind enough to make it a small one. (Someone is breaking me in gently, and I appreciate that.) I don't know if I'll manage to list all of the WFA stuff I get, but I'll try. I also think I'm going to start reading it as I get it (or, at least, putting it into a pile and working off the top of the pile).

This first box contained Charles Coleman Finlay's The Prodigal Troll (which, as I recall, my SFBC reader mostly liked) and Michael Blumlein's The Healer (which I'd thought was science fiction, actually). I've liked Blumlein's work in the past, and his first two novels were solidly SF (The Movement of Mountains) and horror (X, Y), so it would be very symmetrical for his third novel to be fantasy. An auspicious beginning, I think -- better than getting a dozen paperback cat anthologies, at least (though I'm sure they will be coming).

The question now is whether I dive into one of those on Monday (I have to finish A Long Way Down first, and then the weekend, as always, is for SFBC reading), or keep to my original plan, which was to try to knock off A Feast For Crows next week. Anyone reading this want to vote one way or the other?

(Other things I already have to read for WFA: Vellum by Hal Duncan, The Narrows by Alexander C. Irvine, The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl by Tim Pratt, The House of Storms by Ian R. MacLeod, Glass Soup by Jonathan Carroll, Gil's All-Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez and Looking for Jake by China Mieville. Votes for any of those may be either heeded or ignored, depending on my whim.)

1 comment:

Andrew Wheeler said...

No limits at all; we're supposed to survey everything fantastic published in 2005.

We do get to ignore science fiction, so I expect we'll have a couple of category discussions as this goes along.

Post a Comment