Sunday, January 01, 2006

Reading Into the Past: Week of 1/1

Rolling three dice for the second time, and I get a 4. The dice gods, they toy with me, but I will get even...somehow.

So this week, we'll take a look at what I was reading this week at the start of that amazing year 2002:
  • China Mieville, The Scar (12/27)
  • John Marco, The Eye of God (12/28, only the first half)
  • Sara Douglass, Starman (12/30, skimmed)
  • Tony Millionaire, The Adventures of Sock Monkey (1/1)
My, I was lazy that week, wasn't I? I read four books (one of them a comics collection), and didn't even bother to finish two of them.

The Scar is a great novel; I still think it's Mieville's best to date.

I liked what I read of The Eye of God but it was really long and nothing jumped out at me as particularly salable about it (I was reading it for work). If I'd been reading it for myself, I probably would have finished it, but, then again, I very rarely read epic fantasy for myself, so that's a pretty unlikely possibility,

I lost touch with Sara Douglass's "Wayfarer Redemption" series (of which I think this was the third) somehow -- the first was a perfectly pleasant epic fantasy, and there were things I liked a lot about the second one. But apparently I didn't manage to finish the third, and I've only skimmed bits of the second trilogy (and not really connected with it). There's just too much epic fantasy out there, and it's all too long; I can't even keep up with the series I've been more-or-less reading.

I've read a couple of Tony Millionaire's comics here and there; I love the way he draws, and they're the kind of thing that looks like I should love it. But I just don't, quite, and I'm not sure why. I enjoy it, usually, but it doesn't hit me the way I think it should. (And he publishes a lot of short books, so I miss most of them; that might be part of the problem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment