Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Wailing and Rending of Garments

I missed posting yesterday -- bad blogger, no cookie! -- mostly because I was reading like mad all weekend. (And, being an editor, I guess that's understandable.)

I'm not going to do a review of what I was reading (even leaving aside the "I don't do reviews" thing), since I was reading it for work, but I will say this:

Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" series is one of the most purely entertaining, compulsively readable things I've found in a long, long time. I had the first three novels (publishing in the US this April, May and June) to read and just ran through them all over the long weekend. It's a Napoleonic fantasy series -- essentially Patrick O'Brian with dragons -- and damn if she doesn't live up to that description. She might not yet be as smooth and compelling a writer as O'Brian was, but these books are amazingly impressive for a new novelist. I just hope she can get some more of them written really fast...

Anyway, to make up for not posting yesterday, I pledge that I will try the first stupid blog-meme idea I see today, for added content. This I do for you, my devoted reader.

1 comment:

Andrew Wheeler said...

andyhat asked:
Is there likely to be an SFBC edition of the Temeraire series?

I hope so, but it's way too early to say -- I only just read them. I'm certainly going to try to do one, and I'll see if it all works out.

Post a Comment