Monday, May 21, 2007

Breaking News

Those of you particularly plugged into the publishing business may have seen the report mere moments ago that my employer (the as-yet-unnamed merged entity of BMG Columbia House and Bookspan) is laying off 280 people and closing a number of book clubs.

So far, I still have a job and the Science Fiction Book Club is still in operation. No one has told me otherwise, and the SFBC is solidly profitable and has been for as long as I've been with the company.

If the situation changes, I'll probably change this post. (Assuming there's no compelling reason for me not to.)

Updated @ 3:43 PM EDT: I have been conclusively told that I am not being laid off. Others, unfortunately, will be -- including some people very close to me. I think I can be more specific later, but, for now, all I can say is: not me. And the SFBC is continuing.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Came back from lunch to see the PW Daily email about all of this. Glad to see you're still collecting those Bertelsmann Bucks.

Tim Pratt said...

Oh, good. I saw that story and popped right over here to see if SFBC was affected. Glad you're not!

Jonathan said...

I'm really glad to hear that it hasn't affected you. I am sorry, though, that others have been less fortunate. Everyone I've dealt with at the Book Club over the years has been wonderful, and I'm sorry that any of them are going. Hope the changes result in a stronger, healthier Club, though.

Anonymous said...

I just read the PW Daily and freaked. Relieved that you're ok and hopehopehope Ellen is, too.
Ellen Datlow

Roe said...

Thank goodness you're safe! I've been on the phone with my remaining Bookspan buddies all day... this sucks.

Anonymous said...

Andrew: Was happy to see you've evaded the grim job reaper. Publishing seems kind of dicey these days. Hang in there. Hope all turns out well.

Best,


Jeff Ford

RobB said...

Hi Andrew,

Good to see things haven't affected you personally. Same goes for SFBC.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Andrew:

Hang in there. They'd be crazy to get rid of you.

JeffV

Post a Comment