Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Don't You Know There Ain't No Devil; That's Just God When He's Drunk

Two and a half years ago, I grumped about my commute, which had gotten extended by the combined force of Hurricane Sandy and the human stupidity that parked most of NJ Transit's rolling stock in exactly the low point their own standards said they weren't supposed to.

Little did I know I had nothing to complain about, then.

(TL; DR version of old post: commute was about 65 minutes, each way, before hurricane, 90 afterwards.)

But these days, this is my life:

Morning:
Leave home at 6:20 to catch a 6:45 train at Montclair State University (further away, +$3 to park every day)
Walk from Penn Station to my office on the other end, arriving somewhere between 8:10 and 8:20.

Evening:
Walk out of the office at 6:00 for a 6:41 train that gets me home right at 8:00 if I'm lucky.

That's a two-hour commute, roughly, each way, and a day that runs about fourteen hours. At its very worst, the day in Hoboken saw me leave my house at 6:30 AM and get home at 5:50 PM. I am now very jealous of my prior self.

No comments:

Post a Comment