Monday, July 13, 2020

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 7/11/20

I actually had one book arrive in the mail last week -- Carrizozo: An Illustrated History, the latest self-published (and Kickstarted) "graphic novel" by cartoonist Rick Geary.

I put "graphic novel" in quotes because this is non-fiction, like most of Geary's work for the last three decades. It's also substantially quirkier than his usual books: Geary has specialized in well-researched and lovingly detailed stories of famous (or infamous) murder cases from the past two hundred years (so far, as far as I can remember, all in the US and UK). But this one, instead, is the possibly-murder-free (I haven't read it yet) story of the small town where Geary has lived for the past twelve years.

I backed it, which is why I have a copy now: this is very quirky, and I expect the only other way to get it will be if and when it shows up in Geary's webstore eventually. His other self-published books have, six months or a year after their Kickstarted incarnations, so there's a decent chance Carizozo will as well.

Oh, there's one other way, possibly: if there's a Chamber of Commerce or small local museum in Carrizozo itself, I bet there will be copies there, either to read on-site or for purchase. But that's a big maybe and not convenient for all but a very few.

I've been a Geary fan for more than three decades at this point, so I was willing to follow him in this odd direction. Frankly, I often miss the really whimsical Geary of his early career, who did a lot of off-kilter single pages and short strips in the National Lampoon of the late '70s. So anything that seems to be encouraging Gearyu to head back in that direction is good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment