Monday, October 21, 2024

Portions for Foxes: Ellen Starski

"Portions for Foxes" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song by a woman or a band led by a woman. See the introduction for more.

Another song of romantic conflict - this time out, it's Honey I'm Not Him by Ellen Starski, from her 2018 record When the Peonies Played for the Ants.

It's one of those great songs, in one clear voice, spoken to another person - the wife talking to the other woman, what seems to be late one night, out in the darkness.

Hey I heard you've been hangin' round my home
girl you better find another man to adore
the stars shine brightly on my pistol and this whiskey sure tastes fine

I love the directness of it, with that quiet country "Cheatin' Banjo" (from the album's credits) behind her voice.

And the title - the whole chorus it's part of - is just perfect:

Find yourself a lily white church
And ask forgiveness from your sin
I'm sure God will forgive you
But Honey I'm not Him

Cheating songs are legion, but "I know you're cheating, and it's time to stop" songs less so - this one takes over that territory for itself and does a brilliant job of it. The country/folky sound is just perfect for the material, as is Starski's quiet, slightly affected singing tone here.

No comments:

Post a Comment