Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Mission Statement

This is the place where I should explain things - what the title means, what focus this blog will have, and all of those other useful details. Unfortunately, the title doesn't actually mean anything, and I have no idea what this blog will focus on.

G.B.H. Hornswoggler is a name I made up to use on high scores on video games about a decade ago. I've since used it one other place on the internet, and I like the sound of it. I'm something of a contrarian, so having a long-winded and deliberately archaic title on something as zippy and up-to-date as a blog appeals to me. I can't say that the title of the blog won't change at some point, though - it very well might. But I'm using my real name because I'm profoundly ambivalent about using a pseudonym, and because it doesn't really matter, anyway.

The reason I'm doing this blog is to practice for my other blog. In my professional life, I'm Senior Editor of the Science Fiction Book Club, and I've been asked to do a blog in that capacity. I've started doing some sample posts, and that blog will probably go up later this month (OK, maybe next month. before Christmas for sure!). But, since I have no experience doing this sort of thing - and since I've been vaguely thinking about blogging, like every other person in my original-thought-deprived generation, for several months now - I figured I might as well do an unprofessional blog as well.

So this will be one part practice, and one part posts that really don't have anything to do with science fiction. At least, that's what it will be until I start getting completely confused - who knows what will happen then. I think it will be book-heavy, since I read a lot and have the typical editor's belief that other people should listen to my opinions. I intend to stay as far away from politics as possible, but we'll see how that goes.

The other, professional blog doesn't exist yet, but, once it does, I'll link to it from here. Since the other blog (whose title will probably be Things To Come) will be somewhat corporate, I doubt it will link back here. But who knows? This is all completely new to me, so I have no idea what I will be able to do - or what I'll want to do in a couple of months, to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment