Friday, September 19, 2008

iTunes Wordle Meme

I got this from Scott Westerfeld, who I think invented it.

The instructions:

1) In iTunes, select View Options under the View menu.
2) Turn off everything but “Artist.”
3) Select all and copy.
4) Search and Replace the word “track” with nothing.
5) Paste the results into the Wordle.net Create page.

And an occurrence-weighted word cloud of favorite musical artistes will appear.

(Note from Andy -- I have iTunes 8, which doesn't allow the name of the track to be turned off. So, instead, I just copied and pasted the whole thing -- you can also do it for a playlist -- into a spreadsheet program, highlighted the column of artists, which is what I really wanted, and re-pasted that into Worldle. It's a slightly longer, more cumbersome process, but you don't have to turn off and back on all of the data in iTunes to do it that way.)



As I've done for other iTunes memes, here's also the cloud of what I'm listening to right now. (I have a huge iTunes library, and most of it just sits there. I've been buying and listening to new music -- well, it's all new to me, though some of it isn't all that "new" -- a whole lot in the last year or so. So this is more of an accurate representation of what's going into my ears these days. Some things, though, remain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment