Monday, September 24, 2018

Reviewing the Mail : Week of 9/22/18

This week, I have five books from the library to tell you about, so let's get right to it:

Boy's Club is the big collection of Matt Furie's work from 2016,  right at the moment when his character Pepe the Frog was being horribly appropriated by racists and assholes. (Actually, I think this was just a new edition of that work -- maybe bigger and in book form for the first time? -- but the book doesn't explain and trying to Google through that morass is beyond my patience.) I will also admit to being confused about which boy this club belongs to.

The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 2 collects three more books in Herge's series about the intrepid boy reporter. I liked the first omnibus, even if I thought the pages are reproduced a little small in this series, so I'm back for another one.

All the Answers is a new graphic novel by Michael Kupperman, about his father, who was a quiz-show prodigy as a boy during WWII.

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 7: Damage Per Second is the next in this series, which I'll keep reading as long as I can get it from the library. This one came out in 2017, is written by G. Willow Wilson, is drawn by Mirka Andolfo (one issue), Takeshi Miyazawa (four issues) and Francesco Gaston (one issue), and has what looks to me like an inappropriately upskirt cover image about a teenage Muslim girl.

And then there's The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe, a standalone graphic novel by the team behind SG's regular comic (Ryan North and Erica Henderson). In this one, SG follows in the illustrious footsteps of Deadpool, the Punisher, and Fred Hembeck, and destroys the world she lives in (probably just for this book).

No comments:

Post a Comment