Sunday, May 05, 2024

Reviewing the Mail: Week of May 4, 2024

One book this week, the product of a Kickstarter, and it is...

The Bonito City Tragedy by Rick Geary!

Geary has been kickstarting (when that's a verb, does it take the capital letter? oh, the weird usage questions we get these days) books for about a decade, I think. I've backed a bunch of them, I know.

He used to do small-format books on national or global-level murder stories of the past (first exclusively the 19th century, then shifting to mostly the 20th) for various publishers (I think mostly NBM), but the kickstarted books have tended to be smaller, local historical murders - or similarly local stories that are not quite as murder-centric. I won't claim the list is comprehensive, but books I've gotten from Geary since 2014 include The Elwell EnigmaThe True Death of Billy the KidMurder at the Hollywood Hotel (with The Lampoon Years: 1979-1992 and Rick Geary's Book of Murder also at that link), Early Storties: 1977-1988The Story of the Lincoln County WarThe Secret Door at the White HouseChester & Grace: The Adirondack MurderThe Wallace MysteryCarrizozo: An Illustrated History, and Stories from the '90s.

This is another story of death in rural New Mexico - where Geary has lived for the past decade-plus - but I don't know much more than that. But a new Geary story about death and quirky local history is a good thing, so I'm on board. (Let's be honest, if I signed up for the history of his hometown - Carrizozo is the book I'm referring to, and I did enjoy it - I'm probably on board with anything Geary wants to do at this point.)

At the moment, it looks like Geary's regular site and Storenvy pages are down, but I'll put those links in, just in case they come back. The book itself doesn't have an ISBN, so I don't think it will be available through the normal channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment