Sunday, October 11, 2026

Reviewing the Mail: Week of October 10, 2026

Two books came in the mail this week - from Tachyon - and I grabbed one at the library. I'll take them in that order.

First up is is a new anthology edited by Ellen Datlow, Lovecraft's Brood. From the title, you can guess that it's all cosmic horror of one kind or another. Datlow's introduction does note that the stories mostly aren't full of purely Lovecraftian elements, which I take to mean that it's not a parade of Deep Ones and Mi-Go and so forth, but different ideas and beings and frights. Included are nineteen stories, all originally published other places over the past twenty years, from authors including T. Kingfisher, Caitlín R. Kiernan, Laird Barron, Conrad Williams, and Elizabeth Hand. I have a finished book, so it's available now.

Also from Tachyon is a new novel by David Liss, The Death and Birth of Iliana Marek. Liss is mostly a thriller writer, I think - I have a couple of his books on the shelf that I keep wanting to read, but haven't managed to get to yet - and this one presents itself as a corrupt-town novel, set in a small Florida town and focused on the title character, the stepdaughter and fixer of the local corrupt police chief. But I think there's at least one fantastic element somewhere in the mix - I won't speculate what or how, but I get the distinct sense this isn't a pure thriller. (Also just read a big chunk of the prologue, which is gripping and intriguing, so I might need to find time for this one soon.)

The library book is the new novel by Tom Perrotta, Ghost Town. It's mostly the story of a kid in the 1970s, as seen from decades later - from the title, you can probably guess there's a significant death early on, but the flap copy doesn't give that away, so I suppose I shouldn't, either. So far, I'm finding the writing crisp and sharp - almost too sharp to bear at times, as someone who was a boy in the 1970s and had a similar loss to Perrotta's protagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment