As of today, Antick Musings is twenty-one years old. That may seem impressive, but I have two children older than that. I also tend to see only the things that annoy me about the blog (my own badly-worded or trite thoughts, this horrible layout that I don't know if I even could change at this point).
But: yay! I suppose.
Every year on this day, I intend to post about the glorious holiday, and have succeeded most years. (I missed most of the big round numbers, due to a flaw in my character.) Since I'm starting to type this post almost a month ahead of time, it might actually happen this year.
(If you're reading this, and there's just some vague apology below, and it's late November: oops, I didn't.)
History of the Blog: Links to Links
For me, blogging often devolves into links to links that in turn link to other things. The Glorious Anniversary is no exception, so here's the history: first, second, third, fourth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth (published two months late and substantially shorter than the others), eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth (much shorter than usual, but on time), seventeenth, nineteenth and twentieth.
You may note that several years are missing in that list.
Yes. Yes, they are.
And let me quote a lightly edited version of what I wrote last year about what I grandly call The Myth of Antick Musings, because it's still as true as it was then:
I started this blog as practice, since the book-club company I worked for at the time was going to start up a bunch of blogs, and I would be tasked to write the one for the Science Fiction Book Club (SFBC). That corporate blog was scrubbed from the Internet long ago, and the company has changed hands several times. It may well be entirely out of business now; I see that Columbia House just died. So the fact that my half-assed practice blog is still running while the SFBC itself seems to be gone, well, that's a sign of something in the world, I guess, though I don't count it as a win.
After I was cast out of the SFBC (and, though I didn't realize it at the time, editorial work and the SFF field in general), this blog turned into exactly what I thought it never could, should, or would be: a book blog. Oh, well.
I used to watch moves and write about them here. I used to post notes and links to random things actually happening in the real world, too! We truly are living in the worst possible timeline.
History of the Blog: Easily Manipulated Metrics
At this point in the annual post, I traditionally throw in a table of the number of blog posts each year. Why? Would any reader care? I doubt it, but, somewhere deep in my psyche, I suppose I see it as the Blogging KPI, and so I must track it.
- 2025-2026 -- 406 posts
- 2024-2025 -- 407 posts
- 2023-2024 -- 405 posts
- 2022-2023 -- 410 posts
- 2021-2022 -- 279 posts
- 2020-2021 -- 265 posts
- 2019-2020 -- 55 posts
- 2018-2019 -- 178 posts
- 2017-2018 -- 368 posts
- 2016-2017 -- 263 posts
- 2015-2016 -- 144 posts
- 2014-2015 -- 258 posts
- 2013-2014 -- 434 posts
- 2012-2013 -- 285 posts
- 2011-2012 -- 332 posts
- 2010-2011 -- 445 posts
- 2009-2010 -- 711 posts
- 2008-2009 -- 880 posts
- 2007-2008 -- 834 posts
- 2006-2007 -- 841 posts
- 2005-2006 -- 809 posts
Anyone who cared could track my level of ennui, at least on a yearly level, from the above. I will note a remarkable consistency over the past four years: I've figured out a habit that works, and I am a creature of habit, so...let's see how long it can last.
I had a second blog - I know, but that's just the way we lived then - for a few years in the teens. It was called Editorial Explanations, and was snarky comments about editorial cartoons. I included those in my Post-Count KPI for while, but now I don't.
The Inevitable Links: Posts About Books
Antick Musings did turn into a book blog, first gradually (when I thought I still had a chance to get another editorial job) and then all at once (when I realized that would never happen).
Most of the posts here, for the last decade or more, are about books. So the bulk of this anniversary post, every year, is links to those posts, using sentences I wrote that I'm still inordinately fond of. Yes, this is a hugely self-indulgent thing - I do it every year, and I'm going to do it again.
It's my blog, I can do it however I want.
Heavy Bright is a positive, mostly uplifting story about fighting evil by whacking it with a spoon.
Stories don't have to be true to be good stories - frankly, it's more often the opposite.
And, lastly, I occasionally give up on a book mid-stream: I don't have to love a book to finish it, but I think if I find myself talking to the author, in my head: "Jesus Christ, Hughes, read the fucking room," then the book has lost an essential connection to me as a reader and I shouldn't try to make larger statements about it.
The Inevitable Links: Everything Else
I have posts about other things - not as many, and not as much as in the early days of the blog. In 2026, for the fourth year in a row, I had a series of posts about songs on Mondays. I think I'm not as good at writing about music as I am about books - some of you may have unkind thoughts, wondering if that is even possible, but I will ignore you - but I do it because I like these songs and I want to surface things I like here.
I post lists of new books - only physical books, but however and whenever I get them - here, under the overall title Reviewing the Mail (which I stole from Chuck Klosterman, who doesn't seem to be using it anymore). I've called those posts different things occasionally, too, mostly by mistake.
I also do quotes from the books I read - every Saturday as Quote of the Week, and twice a year in a closet-cleaning exercise. (Also available from that link, in big clumps on New Year's Eve and the Sunday closest to Independence Day.)
As The Blog Lurches Into a Twenty-Second Year
I gave up on big pronouncements and predictions long ago. Given my druthers, I'd be coming up on my fifteenth year or so as Editor-in-Chief of the SFBC. But they never were my druthers: that's the lesson life teaches us all.
I do expect to keep doing whatever you call what I do here. I am massively a creature of habit, and this blog is about five of those habits at this point. Take that as a promise, or a threat.
But it's good that the blog is old enough to drink, now: it takes pressure off me. I've been on a blood thinner - for six or seven years, I think? I can't even remember; I've been on various heart meds since '02 - which has meant that I can't drink. But, maybe, in some odd way, I can think that Antick Musings is doing it for me.
May your own creative endeavors similarly take over aspects of your own life, like kudzu in the summertime: that's my valediction this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment