Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 7 by Herge

This is the end. Well, sort of: there's an unfinished last book called Tintin and Alph-Art, which is available in what I think is the form Herge left it (rather than completed by other hands). But this is definitely the last Tintin stories actually completed and published.

The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 7 collects books that cover almost two decades: The Castafiore Emerald (serialized 1961-62), Flight 714 to Sydney (66-67) and Tintin and the Picaros (75-76). Herge was clearly not devoting as much time to writing and drawing new albums in his fifties and sixties as he was as a younger man, but I suspect he was doing just as much "Tintin stuff," only related to running a business empire: approving toy designs, meeting with movie people, arranging sublicenses, and all of the other things that are definitely work but don't deliver any new material from a creative person.

Anyway, the three books are quite separate here, as you might guess from that sixteen-year span. So I guess I should treat them separately.

The Castafiore Emerald stands out as different from the rest of the series: it's entirely set at Marlinspike, Captain Haddock's ancestral pile, and it's a mystery/farce rather than the series' more usual adventure plot. I found the humor was not quite as juvenile as Herge sometimes gets - it's still most based on how horrible Bianca Castafiore is and how much Haddock can't stand her (and, secondarily, on how much of a blustery klutz he is), but that's the story here, rather than random interjections. The story sees Haddock injure his foot, so he's stuck in a wheelchair, right as Castafiore invites herself (and the inevitable accompanying media frenzy) to Marlinspike, leading first to worries about theft and then what seems to be an actual theft. It's also got some good don't-judge-people material, suitable for its young audience, though that thread is mostly background.

Flight 714 to Sydney is a more typical adventure story: Tintin and Haddock and Calculus are off to some international aviation symposium in Australia, get sidetracked by an eccentric rich guy, and then a villain strikes. There's a lot of running around with guns after that, mostly serious, and a weird fantastic element that struck me as outside the usual style of the series and that largely serves to set up a deus ex machina ending in a book that didn't need one. That one element aside, though, the adventure stuff is strong, and the comic relief mostly well-integrated into the actual story.

And then the last finished Tintin book, the one I could have read as a child of the appropriate age if Tintin was a thing in the USA in the mid-70s (it wasn't), is Tintin and the Picaros, something of a greatest-hits compilation of the series. The fictional Latin American country of San Theodoros from The Broken Ear provides a venue and a big chunk of cast, one secondary villain returns from The Calculus Affair, and of course there's the usual suspects of Tintin, Haddock, Castafiore, and the Thom(p)son twins. It has an odd anti-violence message from Tintin as part of his revolutionary plot, and that plot is fairly thin and mostly on rails.

I still think these omnibuses are a rotten way to present the Tintin books: they're too physically small to read easily and the books are long and dense enough that they'd work better as individual albums. I expect the next big repackaging of Tintin will be back to the album format; every series gets packaged into omnibuses for a while and then broken back out again. If you have the inclination to read this series, I'd either wait for that switch or look for actual albums. (If you're reading in a language other than English, the latter should be easier.)

As for me, I'm happy I read the series: it was a big hole in my comics cultural literacy. I didn't love the Tintin books, but I didn't expect to: they were made for European boys starting several decades before I was born, and I didn't read them until I was middle-aged. But I can appreciate what they do well - I don't think I've even mentioned Herge's lovely line in any of these posts (maybe because of the horrible small size of these omnibuses, which does not display his art well at all) - and indulge the things they do to keep that young audience happy and engaged. I still don't think I'd agree with the Tintin maximalists, but this is pretty good stuff. (See my posts on the earlier books for more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment