Thursday, November 02, 2023

Maids by Katie Skelly

The most interesting creators are the ones you have to learn how to read. They tell stories their way, making their choices but not going out of their way to explain. And it can take reading a few books to figure that out: not all readers will want to spend that much effort.

I think I'm beginning to understand how to read Katie Skelly's comics. I'm getting more excited, more interested, with each new book I read, which is a good sign: creators should be engrossing, should be exciting, as you learn what they care about and how to see things through their angles. So I may not have quite clicked with My Pretty Vampire, but there was something unique there, which brought me back for The Agency.

And now I'm back again for Maids, Skelly's 2020 book. I think this is her most important book to date; it's also her most recent major graphic novel, which might be saying the same thing in a different way.

This is a true story, at its core - a true crime story. As I think is her standard, Skelly works in a cinematic fashion, connecting scenes through images and having a clear "camera" that views the action on her pages. Also as usual, she doesn't go out of her way to explain things: she's not one for captions, and her people talk to each other in the ways real people do; they're not going to explain themselves for your benefit.

It is 1933 France. Christine and Lea Papin are sisters, who grew up poor - dumped in a convent school by their mother. Christine has been a maid for the wealthy Lancelin family for some time; she's just gotten them to hire Lea as well.

The hours are long, the work both endless and tedious and never enough. The Lancelins - mother and daughter - are not actively oppressive or cruel out of proportion to their station and time, but that still leaves a lot of ground for oppression and cruelty. It is a horrible life for the young Papin sisters. They see no other options, no ways to get any better life. And Lea has visions or breaks; if she was living in the modern world she would probably get medical treatment, but a poor woman in 1933 just has to muddle through.

Skelly's work is about women, always. The murderers and victims here are all women; all the violence, in both directions, physical and emotional and economic, is from women to women. The anger and scorn and fear and disgust are all between women.

And I think Maids is the purest, most extreme expression of that so far from Skelly, the book where her cinematic eye and genre-fiction influences click together to tell one crisp story of death and revenge and oppression and horror. I don't know that I'd recommend this book for people who haven't read Skelly before, but I do recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment