The fourth book of the vacation order (covered last week) arrived recently - which is for a specific reading purpose that will probably be obvious - and I also got three books from the library, which I'll list first in a misguided attempt to create tension.
I might have missed a book in the middle, but The Werewolf at Dusk is (the next?) book of comics stories from David Small, author of the highly lauded 2008 graphic memoir Stitches. (I reviewed it for ComicMix at the time.) Werewolf came out in 2024, and has Small's adaptations of three stories - one of which he's credited as the original author, so I'm not sure if he wrote it in prose and it was published somewhere, or just that he plotted and scripted the comics story - which are all about animals in one way or another. Small is a long-time illustrator, most famously of books for young readers, and won the Caldecott among several other awards.
Mike Dawson is a graphic novelist from my home state of New Jersey - I recently backed the kickstarter for a collection of his short comics - and his new book for young readers is The Hidden Dominion of Geordie James, about a tween boy who has trouble speaking up and what happens when he has to be part of a group project in science class. (I read this yesterday and plan to write about it when I'm done with this post, so I'll leave it at that.)Yes, graphic novels for young readers are still a big deal, and a huge part of the general comics ecosystem. Both of the above books have a slightly cringe "Pow!" sticker on the spine that I suspect is to the current generation what the SF-rocket-ship was to mine. (And I seriously suspect whether Werewolf is actually for young readers; a librarian might have made a mistake or deliberately paid for the Small book out of a budget that is not entirely correct.)
The third library book, though, is very clearly not aimed at kids, and does not sport a Pow! sticker: the most recent Joe Sacco book, The Once and Future Riot. Following his usual modus operandi, Sacco went somewhere people have killed each other recently for stupid reasons and made non-fiction comics about it - this time it's Uttar Pradesh in India and the two groups are Muslims and Hindus. I don't know if this time he's doing the "this group is clearly the right one and is blameless in every aspect" thing that he sometimes drops into; I suppose I'll see. (There's usually plenty of bad faith and random cruelty and murder on both sides of all the locations he writes about, but everyone has their own viewpoint.)And the book I paid for is Cox's Fragmenta II, edited by Simon Murphy. See my post three years ago on the first one for something like an explanation of the whole deal - basically, some guy in the 18th century kept huge scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, which ended up in the British Library. That's Cox. And another guy - Murphy - edited a small book with a selection of that stuff in the modern day. And then he did a second one, which is this one. It's random and quirky and entirely made up of small snippets, so you can guess what kind of reading that is.



No comments:
Post a Comment