Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Hugo Nominations

First, the disclaimers: I usually try to read Dozois's Year's Best Science Fiction before nominating, since I don't get to read much short fiction otherwise, and I do like to nominate across as many categories as I can. This year, however, St. Martin's hasn't gotten it to me yet, so I've read less short stuff than usual. Also, I can only nominate things I've read and liked -- I can't read everything, and I tend to be grumpy, so I don't like some things that are probably perfectly wonderful.

Anyway, here's what I'm nominating this year:

Best Novel:
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
The Narrows by Alexander C. Irvine
Counting Heads by David Marusek
Learning the World by Ken MacLeod
Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Best Novella:
"Magic for Beginners" by Kelly Link
"The Little Goddess" by Ian McDonald
"Audubon in Atlantis" by Harry Turtledove
"Inside Job" by Connie Willis

Best Novelette:
"The Gist Hunter" by Matthew Hughes
"Rats of the System" by Paul McAuley
"The Policeman's Daughter" by Wil McCarthy
"Written in the Stars" by Ian McDonald
"Beyond the Aquila Rift" by Alastair Reynolds

Best Short Story:
"Second Person, First Tense" by Darryl Gregory
"Third Day Lights" by Alaya Johnson
"Monster" by Kelly Link
"Sheila" by Lauren McLaughlin
"Girls and Boys, Come Out To Play" by Michael Swanwick

Best Related Book:
Raw Spirit by Iain Banks
Spectrum 12 edited by Cathy & Arnie Fenner
Up Through an Empty House of Stars by David Langford
The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook by Alan Lee
The Disappointment Artist by Jonathan Lethem

Best Professional Editor:
Ellen Asher
Ginjer Buchanan
Anne Groell
David G. Hartwell
Patrick Nielsen Hayden

Best Professional Artist:
Donato Giancola
Bruce Jensen
Todd Lockwood
Stephan Martiniere
John Jude Palencar

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form:
Mirrormask
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form:
Prix Victor Hugo Award Ceremonies at Interaction

Best Semiprozine:
Ansible
Emerald City
Locus
The New York Review of Science Fiction

Best Fanzine:
no nominations

Best Fan Writer:
David Langford
Cheryl Morgan
James Nicoll
Steven H. Silver

Best Fan Artist:
no nominations

Best Interactive Video Game:
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Lego Star Wars

John W. Campbell (Not a Hugo) Award for Best New Writer:
K.J. Bishop
Alaya Johnson
Justine Larbalestier
Chris Roberson
John Scalzi

If anyone reading this is a member of this year's or last year's Worldcon, and hasn't nominated yet -- do it now.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Given when I reviewed them, I'm pretty sure that both Raw Spirit and Up Through an Empty House of Stars are 2003 publications, and therefore ineligible. Sorry.

And thank you. :-)

Andrew Wheeler said...

My Hugo Nomination system fell apart this year, I'm afraid. I usually try to do it all at once (go through my reading notebook for candidates, make sure they're eligible, and then nominate for the Hugos and vote in the Locus Awards simultaneously), but that didn't happen this year -- I got part-way done, and had to put it aside for a few weeks. I thought that I'd gotten through the "research" part on my first try, but, clearly, I was wrong...

Anonymous said...

I'm honored.

And if I may make a couple of recommendations for the long form dramatic category, the fourth and fifth series of the Radio show "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" are eligible.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I hit return and it posted before I could sign. The thank you and the HHGG rec at was from Steven Silver

Post a Comment