Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Your 2006 Hugo Nominees

Charlie Stross linked to what looks like an official announcement in rec.arts.sf.fandom, and I'm sure this is percolating around the web as I type this.

The nominees are:

Best Novel
Learning the World, Ken MacLeod (Orbit; Tor)
A Feast for Crows, George R.R. Martin (Voyager; Bantam Spectra)
Old Man's War, John Scalzi (Tor)
Accelerando, Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit)
Spin, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)

(Only one of the books I nominated made it, which is a bit disappointing. And now I really do need to read Old Man's War and Spin.)

Best Novella
Burn, James Patrick Kelly (Tachyon)
"Magic for Beginners", Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners, Small Beer Press; F&SF September 2005)
"The Little Goddess", Ian McDonald (Asimov’s June 2005)
"Identity Theft", Robert J. Sawyer (Down These Dark Spaceways, SFBC)
"Inside Job", Connie Willis (Asimov’s January 2005)

(Three of my nominees made it, plus I've heard good things about Burn -- and I'm thrilled for "Identity Theft," which is the first SFBC anything to be nominated for a Hugo.)

Best Novelette
"The Calorie Man", Paolo Bacigalupi (F&SF October/November 2005)
"Two Hearts", Peter S. Beagle (F&SF October/November 2005)
"TelePresence", Michael A. Burstein (Analog July/August 2005)
"I, Robot”, Cory Doctorow (The Infinite Matrix February 15, 2005)
"The King of Where-I-Go", Howard Waldrop (SCI FICTION December 7, 2005)

(Nothing I nominated, but I think most of my "Novelette" nominations were really short stories, anyway. I was really disorganized this year.)

Best Short Story
"Seventy-Five Years", Michael A. Burstein (Analog January/February 2005)
"The Clockwork Atom Bomb", Dominic Green (Interzone May/June 2005)
"Singing My Sister Down", Margo Lanagan (Black Juice, Allen & Unwin; Eos)
"Tk’tk’tk", David D. Levine (Asimov’s March 2005)
"Down Memory Lane", Mike Resnick (Asimov’s April/May 2005)

(Again, nothing. It is a travesty that Alastair Reynolds's "Beyond the Aquila Rift" didn't get nominated in whatever category it actually fits in -- I now think it should have been here, but I nominated it as a novelette. On the other hand, I haven't read any of these yet, so they may all be amazingly brilliant.)

Best Related Book
Transformations: The Story of the Science Fiction Magazines from 1950 to 1970, Mike Ashley (Liverpool)
The SEX Column and Other Misprints, David Langford (Cosmos)
Science Fiction Quotations, edited by Gary Westfahl (Yale)
Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop, Kate Wilhelm (Small Beer Press)
Soundings: Reviews 1992-1996, Gary K. Wolfe (Beccon)

(If I'd been more organized, that's the Langford book I would have realized was eligible and nominated, so I'm happy to see it made it without my help.)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
Batman Begins
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Serenity
Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

(I nominated W&G and haven't seen any of the others.)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
Battlestar Galactica “Pegasus”
Doctor Who “Dalek”
Doctor Who “The Empty Child” & “The Doctor Dances”
Doctor Who “Father’s Day”
Jack-Jack Attack
Lucas Back in Anger
Prix Victor Hugo Awards Ceremony

(I don't watch skiffy TV, but I'm happy to see last year's Hugo Awards ceremony got enough support to edge onto the ballot.)

Best Professional Editor
Ellen Datlow (SCI FICTION and anthologies)
David G. Hartwell (Tor Books; Year's Best SF)
Stanley Schmidt (Analog)
Gordon Van Gelder (F&SF)
Sheila Williams (Asimov’s)

(Only one of my nominees survived the cut.)

Best Professional Artist
Jim Burns
Bob Eggleton
Donato Giancola
Stephan Martiniere
John Picacio
Michael Whelan

(Two of my nominees -- and it's nice to see Picacio, last year's WFA winner, nudge in among the familiar names.)

Best Semiprozine
Ansible edited by Dave Langford
Emerald City edited by Cheryl Morgan
Interzone edited by Andy Cox
Locus edited by Charles N. Brown, Kirsten Gong-Wong, & Liza Groen Trombi
The New York Review of Science Fiction edited by Kathryn Cramer, David G. Hartwell & Kevin J. Maroney

(All four of the ones I nominated made it, which only proves I don't read very deeply in semiprozines.)

Best Fanzine
Banana Wings edited by Claire Brialey & Mark Plummer
Challenger edited by Guy H. Lillian III
Chunga edited by Andy Hooper, Randy Byers & carl juarez
File 770 edited by Mike Glyer
Plokta edited by Alison Scott, Steve Davies & Mike Scott

(A category that I never know anything about.)

Best Fan Writer
Claire Brialey
John Hertz
Dave Langford
Cheryl Morgan
Steven H Silver

(Three of my four nominees on the final ballot, but, again, probably because I only know about the famous fanwriters to begin with.)

Best Fan Artist
Brad Foster
Teddy Harvia
Sue Mason
Steve Stiles
Frank Wu

(More stuff I don't know about.)

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer of 2004 or 2005 [Not a Hugo]
K.J. Bishop (2nd year of eligibility)
Sarah Monette (2nd year of eligibility)
Chris Roberson (2nd year of eligibility)
Brandon Sanderson (1st year of eligibility)
John Scalzi (1st year of eligibility)
Steph Swainston (2nd year of eligibility)

(Three of my nominees, which is a lot.)

And the proposed Best Interactive Video Game category was dropped due to a lack of interest. Which I suppose proves that SF fans may indeed be geeky, but we're not uniformly geeky.

Now, it's up to the members of LA Con IV to examine the nominees and vote. If you are a member, please do vote. (I plan to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment