Monday, August 06, 2007

Things You Didn't Know About Me: The Meme

I haven't done one of these LJ-esque, "tell everyone about yourself" memes in a while, so I'm up for this one, which I saw at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist:

Your full name: Graham Brian Herbert Hornswoggler Andrew Colin Wheeler

Sex: Eschewing all joke answers -- Male

Your age: 38

Nationality: American

Languages you speak: American English (I can get around in British English and Australian English as well)

Education: B.A., Vassar College

Where do you live?: The lovely but flood-prone town of Pompton Lakes, New Jersey

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you settle?: Probably somewhere in this same general area, but a slightly ritzier town. (Though a place in London would be nice, too.)

What's currently on top of your "to do" list?: Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip, Mum mum mum mum mum mum, Get a job.

Name five places you'd love to return to:
  1. London
  2. Edinburgh
  3. Disney World
  4. Paris
  5. an office in midtown Manhattan
Name five future places where you'll travel: I have no current plans, but I hope I'll be in Calgary next year (for World Fantasy) and Montreal in 2009 (for Worldcon). After that, maybe Australia in 2010, and who knows where else.

Quirky fact about you: I was born in a lighthouse; my mother was the sea. I crawled to school each morning when it occurred to me that life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see.

Your most unusual traveling experience: I was in Paris for less than 48 hours once, and spent most of the time in a basement staring at a computer screen. Two work friends and I took a mad dash around the city the second night, so we could at least see a bit of it.

Favorite type of music: Sarcastic pop music (They Might Be Giants, Fountains of Wayne, early Oingo Boingo, Harvey Danger, Cracker), shading into smart rock songwriting more generally (Richard Thompson, Aimee Mann, Rilo Kiley, Nick Cave, the Kinks from '65 to '74).

What song are you listening to right now?: Nothing; the kids were in the room, so they had the TV on. Now it's blissfully quiet.

Favorite movies: Love, Actually; Much Ado About Nothing; The Princess Bride; The Incredibles; the "Wallace & Gromit" shorts

Favorite books: I don't re-read much, so it's a hard question-- I'll say Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, P.G. Wodehouse's Joy in the Morning, and Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies.

Who would you like to meet?: Chip Kidd and Stephan Pastis

First thing you notice about the opposite sex?: Whether or not she's a redhead. Then, height. Then, general curvature in the important areas.

Are you in love?: I've been married fourteen years and have two kids, a mortgage, two minivans, an inflatable pool and a life with my wife. If that's not love, what is? (He said, channeling Fiddler on the Roof.)

Do you like the person that sent you this?: No one sent it, but Pat seems like a nice guy. (I only know him on-line.)

Your fave drink?: When I'm seriously drinking alcohol, it's bourbon-and-Coke. When I'm sipping, it's a whiskey sour. The other 99% of the time, it's water or sometimes a Sprite.

Favorite sport?: I used to watch baseball, but I drifted away. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

What's the worst advice you ever got: Nothing springs to mind; I don't pay attention to advice a lot of the time.

Will you tag anyone to do this?: Nope. But go ahead and grab it, if it amused you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey andrew,
sorry for hijacking your meme-o-riffic post but I wanted to wave this blogger's question under your nose to see if you had a scent on an actual answer.

Thanks for any info.

Andrew Wheeler said...

Rey: McCaffrey has had a note on the card pages of her books for the last twenty years or so saying that chronological order of publication is her preferred reading order for the "Pern" series.

The Dragondrums/White Dragon question is a bit more complicated, since they're both the ends of trilogies. What I understand McCaffrey has said (on those card pages, and elsewhere) is that readers can start with either one of the two trilogies (either the YA books Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums; or the adult books Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon), then move on to the other trilogy, and then read the rest of the books in publication order.

Unless she's recently decided this question is very important, it looks like her answer is "finish whichever trilogy you started first."

Unknown said...

thanks man

Post a Comment