Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones Ages Rapidly

I saw a report that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just wrapped filming with a scene set in 1950. Since pointless numbers fascinate me, I decided to figure out just how wide the gap between Professor Jones and his alter ego Harrison Ford has gotten.
(Sources: IMDB, The Indiana Jones Timeline)
  • Birth: Jones was born in 1899; Ford in 1942.
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark: Takes place in 1936, when Jones is 37.
    Released 1981, when Ford is 39. (Gap: 2 years)
  • Temple of Doom: Takes place in 1935, when Jones is 36.
    Released 1984, when Ford is 42. (Gap: 6 years)
  • The Last Crusade: Takes place in 1938, when Jones is 39.
    Released 1989, when Ford is 47. (Gap: 8 years)
  • Crystal Skull: Takes place in 1957, when Jones is 58.
    Released 2008, when Ford is 66. (Gap: 8 years)
Ford, like most movie stars, is aging pretty well, but, still, the cinematic Indy is clearly being battered pretty badly by life. Must be all those snakes...

Update, 5/23/08: I've now seen Crystal Skull, and the original date I had (1950) was incorrect. So I've now fixed it to reflect the fact that Crystal Skull takes place in 1957.

Thus, the age gap between Ford and Indy hasn't gotten any wider -- it grew quite a bit between the three '80s movies, but not during the long Jones-less interregnum of the '90s.

Also, Shia LeBeouf is older than I thought; I wanted to see if he'd been born when Last Crusade came out, and I found that he was born June 11th of 1986. (I think I was taking my senior finals that day.) Last Crusade was released May 24th of 1989, just a couple of week's before LeBeouf's third birthday.

The first two movies, though, came out well before he was even a glint in Daddy Le Beouf's eye.

These pointless anecdotes about people's ages are brought to you by the fact that I'm sitting around by the basement computer, wondering if a hornet is still about. Apparently not.

3 comments:

Ran said...

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage," seems really appropriate, somehow.

Paul Weimer said...

Indeed.

We'll have to see how well he "plays down" to Indy's age.

Sean O'Hara said...

That's nothing -- have you ever looked at the age difference between Ford and Connery? I believe it's somewhere around ten years.

Post a Comment