Monday, October 08, 2007

Reccomend Me a Laptop!

I blogged a few months ago about wanting a laptop, but it's getting more important now -- I've got my first business trip of the new job coming up next month (plus a trip to World Fantasy even before that), so I think I need to jump to it. (Now, if only I could get the freelance money that I've earmarked for buying a laptop...)

Anyway, my plan is this: to buy a decent used or refurbished Windows laptop for around $750. I might be able to get the usual Microsoft suite through my job, but I'm not sure how that works -- so buying a used computer with that stuff already installed looks appealing.

And I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, horror stories, whatever -- should I go on Craigslist? eBay? Should I get a refurbished laptop from Dell or HP or someone else? Is there any great place to get cheap refurbished laptops in the New York/New Jersey area? (Is it a horrible idea to buy a used or refurbished laptop in the first place, so I should just get something new?)

I'm looking for opinions and experiences, so any comments will be very welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Used/refurb laptops are okay, if you budget in the cost of a replacement battery (or are really very sure you don't care about battery life.) Assume that any used/refub laptop you get will have a shot battery which can't hold much charge.

Anonymous said...

I've been doing computer support for too many years - if you don't have a local shop you trust, I'd go for a Dell, particularly one of their business class laptops. Check out their Outlet.

Brad Holden said...

For $750, you might be able to a get new one. Check out, say, pricegrabber or amazon or some such.

Unfortunately, I use a mac, so I cannot help other than to say IBM made nice laptops a few years ago. Lenovo seems to be keeping the quality up, my wife likes her.

Post a Comment