Thursday, May 15, 2008

Walking the Mendoza Line

Be warned: I might start blogging about music more than I have been, because I just got an e-mail from Amazon about their latest shiny new toy. They've been selling DRM-free music downloads for some time now, but they're rolling out a widget that allows sampling of those tracks by their affiliates (like me).

And what do you do with a shiny new toy? Well, you try it out, of course. So here's my first attempt -- a quick collection of some of the best songs by The Mendoza Line, a band I've been listening to a lot lately. (In my typical fashion, I discovered them almost precisely at the time that they were breaking up.)

I'll probably do more of these, though I don't honestly expect many people to use it to buy music. (I would be very happy to be proved wrong.) But it will allow me to talk about music and give anyone who cares a chance to listen to what I'm talking about, and that's a bonus.

Anyway, let's see if this works. Below this line should be an Amazon widget called "Best of Mendoza Line," with a bunch of great songs:

2 comments:

Graeme said...

Neat! It works in IE7, where I am stuck until Firefox 3 RC1 comes out and I can upgrade my work machine. While 30 seconds samples are pretty lame, hearing a handful of them one after the other gives you some idea of what a band sounds like.

The widget doesn't appear in the RSS feed: you just get a link to a fairly strange page on Amazon with no way to play the samples.

Robert Hutchinson said...

I fully support future music blogging from you, seeing as how we have several favorite musicians in common.

The Mendoza Line intrigues me--I will file them away for future consideration.

Post a Comment