Thursday, January 18, 2024

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: The Interconnectedness of All Kings by Ryall, Akins, Kyriazis, & Livesay

I suppose the Hitchhikers' ground has been thoroughly salted at this point - I've seen the movie; you don't need to tell me - which is why we've gotten two Dirk Gently TV series and these comics over the past decade. But even leaving aside how much Douglas Adams was a writer of voice to begin with, the Dirk books were fun because of the way they were told rather than the vague shaggy-dog stories they told. So doing the same sort of thing in a different medium feels like the wrong next step: the Adams estate would have been better off commissioning someone to write more Dirk novels, I think: assuming anyone could convincingly do that, which is the rub.

Anyway, there is a comics series continuing the Dirk Gently books. This first miniseries, from 2016 - probably not coincidentally the same year as the second, more successful TV show - promises there will be more, but a quick Google here in 2023 did not actually discover more. So I think this slots in just like the original novels: fun, faintly disappointing, not quite going anywhere despite apparent velocity and direction.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: The Interconnectedness of All Kings was written by Chris Ryall, long-time comics scripter and (probably much more importantly) then the head of IDW, publisher of this series. Art is by Tony Akins (pencils on the first two of five issues), Ilias Kyriazis (rest of the pencils), and John Livesay (inks). Colors are by Leonard O'Grady. There is also an introduction by Arvind Ethan David, who produced the second TV series and says here he will be writing the second - so far nonexistent - comics series.

As the book opens, Dirk is moving - carrying basically nothing - from his native UK to San Diego, for no obvious reason. (This isn't a problem: "for no obvious reason" is the way Dirk does everything.) Your Cynical Reviewer assumed San Diego was chosen because Ryall and IDW are headquartered there, but I'm willing to entertain alternate explanations. None are provided, let me be clear. But I'd entertain them if they were.

He soon gets caught up in multiple quirky plots: he grabs a random suitcase, which belongs to a yuppie couple who are engaging in serial-killer touristry: I mean, both being serial killers and doing it in ways that are inspired by classics of the field. There's also a couple of ancient Egyptian men, King Ahktenhamen-adjacent, who are now in the modern world after half-explained magical shenanigans and have the traditional life-stealing curse. Someone is also giving nifty gold cellphones to the homeless of San Diego, but this is much less important to begin with. And Dirk is also casting about for a new base of operations, which of course he does by walking into a random business and claiming it.

There's a lot of complication and goofiness, and the tone strikes me as authentic to the Dirk novels - but I have to admit it's been decades since I read them, so my memory could be off. It's less jokey than Hitchhiker, as I recall - light adventure rather than near-parody.

The whole thing was pleasant but didn't feel Adams-esque, if you know what I mean. Douglas Adams had a tone and a way of constructing sentences, so I'm not sure (as I said up top) that any other medium  or writer could replicate that to begin with. And Dirk is a quirkier, more fragile thing than Hitchhiker to begin with. So this is a nice light adventure comic about a guy called "Dirk Gently" that was pleasant to read but left me a bit flat. Given no sequel has appeared in nearly a decade, I have to assume that reaction was common.

No comments:

Post a Comment