Thursday, March 28, 2024

Fungirl: You Are Revolting by Elizabeth Pich

I've gotten out of the habit of reading individual comics issues - because I first got out of the habit of buying them. There were a lot of factors there, but an already-ebbing stream turned to nothing after the 2011 flood destroyed all of my existing floppies. Since then, if it's not in book form, I basically don't read it.

But my library app - Hoopla, another silly name because everything Internetty is required to have a silly name - includes individual issues, all mixed in their general "Comics" section in a way that sometimes makes it hard to tell if something is a book or a floppy. (Well, they all have page counts: that's a big clue. When I forget to check that, it's entirely on me.) So I now can read floppy comics, at least some of them, about as regularly as I want.

I still haven't really done it much.

But I did read the big collection of Fungirl comics by Elizabeth Pich recently, and noticed there were two other newer "books" - both fairly short - and decided to give this one a go on a recent busy Saturday.

Fungirl: You Are Revolting is 32 pages, so I'm pretty sure it was a floppy comic in its corruptible, mortal state. It calls itself a "one-shot," which is mostly a floppy-comics term. (Books can be in a series, but rarely see the need to announce that they're not.) And it, like the first book and all things Fungirl, is resolutely not for younger or more impressionable readers.

There's one story here, following from the end of the big book. Becky, Fungirl's roommate, is off at med school in another town, so Fungirl is looking for someone to rent Becky's old room. Quirkily, Peter (Becky's boyfriend) is both lampshaded as "not living here" - so he's not going to take over the sublet - and also there all the time, including first thing in the morning in his sleeping clothes, looking like he is living there. But that's the premise, so no complaints.

A potential roommate arrives, after a portentous dream of Fungirl's. She's dressed all in pink, Fungirl immediately lusts for her, she takes the room, and she never gives her name. The plot from there is mostly sex and jealousy: Peter is trying to quell his worries about Becky, away in a distant city with people who are not him, and Fungirl starts screwing New Girl, who is crazy, or has a big secret, or something like that.

It all escalates quickly, and New Girl is not what she seems. I'm not sure what she is - after the dream opening, the whole thing might even be a dream - but she is something, and Fungirl has to Stop Her. I won't spoil the way Fungirl does stop her, but it's both very on-brand and very adult.

Fungirl is still wild and wacky, her stories boundary-pushing and frantic. I'm glad to see there's one more book: this is like nothing else and very funny in its demented, deeply female-centric way.

No comments:

Post a Comment