Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Zombies According to Savage Chickens by Doug Savage

It can be a feature or a bug, depending on how you look at it, but it's a fact that a digital-book file doesn't clearly tell you how big it is the same way a physical book does. Sure, there's probably a page-count somewhere, but with reflowing and choice of font size and all that hoohaw, it's not definitive even if you notice it.

Whereas a physical book is a thing, and you can see how big the thing is.

Zombies According to Savage Chickens, I learned while reading it, is one of a series of quite short books by Doug Savage, collecting themed entries from his quite funny (and long-running, at this point) scribbled-on-Post-It-Notes strip Savage Chickens.

I picked it up because I thought it was in a similar format to the original, published-on-paper book Savage Chickens, which I shudder to realize is a dozen years old at this point.

Now, Zombies does collect a cluster of themed comics, and it is funny, and I enjoyed it a lot. (And I got it free from my library, too, so there's literally no downside for me.) But it was shorter than I thought it was, which means I hit the end much faster than I expected. That's mildly sad, and worth mentioning.

Specifically, the library app I use says that Zombies is 100 pages long, which must be the result of an error somewhere: it contains 50 cartoons, each on a single page, and a couple of pages of the usual "hey, this is a book!" stuff.

They're fifty good cartoons, all in that style - rounded fat black lines on yellow paper - with smart wordplay and more different jokes about brain-eating than you'd think were possible. So the book gets a thumbs-up, though my skills at book-size-determining clearly need some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment