Monday, March 18, 2024

Portions for Foxes: Cordero

"Portions for Foxes" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song by a woman or a band led by a woman. See the introduction for more.

I didn't plan it that way, but last week I had a song about bad sex - or, at least, sex with someone who's all wrong - and this week I have a sexy song that I have to believe is about good sex.

It doesn't quite say it that way, but...

Come on dear lay down on me
I fear I’ll harm myself.
Come on dear just hold me down.
I’ve lost my fear of death.

This is Come On Dear by Cordero. I don't think the band as they existed then are still active, but it looks like bandleader Ani Cordero is out there making music. Back in the early days of this century, she formed her namesake band, fusing a bunch of disparate musical influences and bouncing back and forth between English-language and Spanish-language songs. 

They did a lot of great music; I still listen to their records. This peppy, sexy, compulsive song - Ani Cordero started as a drummer, and this is very much a drum-driven song, full of quick beats - is one of their best.

Come on shake me you can’t break me I need to feel something else.
Why don’t you hold me down.
Please won’t you hold me down.

Sex songs are usually about metaphors - this one is more direct than most, but still subtle enough to miss if you don't think about it. That's what makes it a song and not just a demand, what makes it sexy rather than just a record of sex.

Punchy, smart, fast-paced, just loud and fast enough - it's a great song. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment