Thursday, April 09, 2009

McAuley's Old Particular Fantasy & Horror

Paul McAuley had a list of essential SF last week, so now he's trying to do the same for Fantasy and Horror. And so, again, I'll treat it as a meme.

The usual rules: bold books read, italicize books on the shelf to be read, strikethrough books violently disputed.

(I expect to be less well-read on this list than the first one; let's see if that's true.)
  • Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus MARY SHELLEY 1818
  • Tales of Mystery and Imagination EDGAR ALLAN POE 1838
    Don't think I ever read the book with that precise title, but I did read all of Poe's fiction and poetry for my college thesis, so I'm counting it.
  • A Christmas Carol CHARLES DICKENS 1843
    I may have read this at some point, but I'm not sure -- and I have a copy on the shelf, which I've intended to read for the past four or five Christmases.
  • Jane Eyre CHARLOTTE BRONTE 1847
    Agree with its importance to world literature, without liking it much, but disagree that it's one of the fifty essential fantasy/horror novels of all time. That deforms "horror" more than I'm comfortable with.
  • The Hunting of the Snark LEWIS CARROLL 1876
  • Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde ROBERT LOUIS STEPHENSON 1886
  • The Well At The World’s End WILLIAM MORRIS 1896
  • Dracula BRAM STOKER 1897
  • Ghost Stories of an Antiquary MR JAMES 1904
  • Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things LAFCADIO HEARN 1904
  • The Wind in the Willows KENNETH GRAHAME 1908
  • Jurgen JAMES BRANCH CABELL 1919
  • A Voyage to Arcturus DAVID LINDSAY 1920
  • The King of Elfland’s Daughter LORD DUNSANY 1924
  • The Trial FRANZ KAFKA 1925
  • Lud-in-the-Mist HOPE MIRRLEES 1926
  • Orlando VIRGINIA WOOLF 1928
  • The Big Sleep RAYMOND CHANDLER 1939
    For fantasy? Or horror? I must respectfully disagree.
  • The Outsider and Others HP LOVECRAFT 1939
    Again, not as such, but I've read all of Lovecraft's fiction at least twice.
  • Gormenghast MERVYN PEAKE 1946
  • Night’s Black Agents FRITZ LEIBER JR 1947
    Another book that I've read all the bits of, but not the book in itself. I doubt anyone has in forty years, either, though the stories are important.
  • The Sword of Rhiannon LEIGH BRACKETT 1953
  • Conan the Barbarian ROBERT E HOWARD collected 1954
  • The Lord of the Rings JRR TOLKEIN 1954-5
  • The Once and Future King TH WHITE 1958
  • The Haunting of Hill House SHIRLEY JACKSON 1959
  • The Wierdstone of Brinsingamen ALAN GARNER 1960
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase JOAN AIKEN 1962
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes RAY BRADBURY 1963
  • The Book of Imaginary Beings JORGE LUIS BORGES 1967
  • Ice ANA CAVAN 1967
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ 1967
  • Earthsea URSULA LE GUIN 1968-1972
  • Jirel of Joiry CL MOORE collected 1969
  • Grendel JOHN GARDNER 1971
  • The Pastel City M JOHN HARRISON 1971
  • Carrie STEPHEN KING 1974
  • Peace GENE WOLFE 1975
  • Gloriana, or the Unfulfill’d Queen MICHAEL MOORCOCK 1978
  • The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories ANGELA CARTER 1979
    I've read at least one Angela Carter collection, long ago, and have since forgotten which one it was. I didn't much like it then, but I should probably take another run at her work at some point.
  • Little, Big JOHN CROWLEY 1981
  • The Anubis Gates TIM POWERS 1983
  • The Colour of Magic TERRY PRATCHETT 1983
  • Mythago Wood ROBERT HOLDSTOCK 1984
I should also note that I did a similar list myself a couple of years ago, in response to a list from Jeff VanderMeer that was specifically aimed at writers of literary fantasy.

And I do come out worse on this one than the SF list -- I've read 25 of 44, and intend to read a half-dozen more. But I also find this list much more idiosyncratic, so that just comes with the territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment