Monday, January 02, 2017

Incoming Books: Boxing Day

A week ago today, I hied myself off to a local purveyor of comical funnies, and walked out with a stack of colorful entertainment vehicles.

(Why did I wait a week to blog about it? Well, I was on a roll with the catching-up-on-books-I'd read thing, and didn't want to jinx that. But today seems like a good time)

These are those books:

Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days, a collection of miscellaneous stories written by Gaiman for DC Comics, mostly in that short period between Black Orchid and Sandman.

Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 4 by John Layman and Rob Guillory -- If I've calculated correctly, I have successfully moved my reading of this series from paperback to hardcover. If I didn't, this either overlaps or has a gap with the paperback I already have.

Descender, Vol. 3 by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen -- continuing the SF adventures of a boy robot looking for his owner and the universe around him that's doing its best to destroy every last robot.

Ted McKeever Library Book 1: Transit the Complete Series -- Image did a nice series of Ted McKeever books a few years back, and I noticed them, thought "I should get some of those," and then didn't for several years. Now that they're harder to find, I'm finally tracking them down. McKeever is one of the more interesting oddballs of comics -- and that's saying something.

Finder: Voice by Carla Speed McNeil -- generally considered to be the best and most actually SFnal SF comic out there, Finder has been running for a long time in several formats, and I've only dipped into it now and then. I keep thinking I need to fix that.

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Vol. 2 by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and John Totleben -- the last missing piece I needed for a big Swampy re-read. Well, last piece unless I wanted to start before the classic Moore run, that is....

Animal Man, Vols. 1-3 by Grant Morrison, Charles Truog, and Doug Hazlewood -- the classic run from the end of the '80s, which I keep thinking I should re-read one of these days. "The Coyote Gospel" is still one of the best single-issues stories of all time, you know.

Equinoxes by Cyril Pedrosa -- Pedrosa is the creator of the great graphic novel Three Shadows, and I haven't seen anything from him since then. So I was happy to see this big book come out late in 2016 -- it looks to be in a different style than Three Shadows, but that doesn't bother me.

Stumptown, Vol. 1 by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth -- long long ago, when the world was young, I was in college with Rucka. And I've intermittently felt guilty about not keeping up with his career since then, particularly since I liked a lot of what I did see. (His pre-comics thrillers from the '90s are very good, for example.) And this seems to be his most personal recent project, so I wanted to grab it.

And last is Paper Girls, Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang -- despite my reservations about Vaughan and the wobbly SF, the first one was a lot of fun, so I'll be back at least for one more go-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment